Do Apps – Add Up?
With increasing challenges facing businesses today, now is the time more than ever to apply focussed effort to your business by working on it and not just in it. Taking time to explore the ever growing world of business Add On’s or App’s to enhance your business systems is vital.
At the hub of most businesses today is the Accounting/Bookkeeping software system and though there have been tremendous technological advancements over the past 10-20 years, the future is all about the new breed of Add On solutions.
Add On’s or Apps are essentially a solution that bolts onto, integrates or synchronises with your existing accounting software program relating to aspects of the business not provided by your main accounting software program.
Traditionally the void consisted of business processes that were considered “outside the scope or on the fringe” of the mainstream software providers. Large Software vendors haven’t been interested in developing numerous applications to support and maintain, whilst satisfying a relatively small percentage of their existing market. So filling this need has been taken up by smaller entrepreneurial software developers with the hope of leveraging off the already established databases of the major accounting software providers.
So what Add Ons are emerging? These are just some of the areas that we have seen Add On’s implemented into businesses in the last 12 months:
- Mobile Time & Billing systems.
- Rostering and Payroll Scheduling integrating with existing payroll systems.
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems.
- Web / Online & FaceBook Store integration.
- Manufacturing / job tracking / advanced inventory management.
- Online email Marketing Systems / eNewsletters.
- KPI’s & Dashboards Business Reporting.
- Backup and redundancy systems, offsite & automated.
- Advanced management / business reporting.
- Online point of sale.
- Plus much, much more………
Things to consider when choosing an Add On provider
Add On’s are a great way of building your business systems and adding value to your business and ultimately helping you Buy Time. Homework before you decide to implement an Add On into your business should include:
- Does the Add On fully integrate with your mainstream Accounting / Bookkeeping System?
- Is it a Cloud/Internet based application?
- Where is the Data Stored and How is it Secured?
- What is the reputation of the Solution Provider?
- Perform online searches for ratings and reviews of the product and company.
- Ask for testimonial sites and follow these up (preferably in your industry).
- Does the software work with the Australian version of your Accounting software?
- What local support is in place?
So what things in your business could be streamlined with the use of an Add On?
Business Costs - Are They Adding Value?
Moments of Truth
Is your Accountant Necessary?
Where Has Our “Disposable Time” Gone?
Using the Internet to Buy Locally
Is your head in the Cloud?
Do Apps – Add Up?
Future Shock – It’s Here Again
The Cloud - What’s Old is New Again
How Disruptive is your Business?
Peter Fowler Collins Hume
Collins Hume has over 12 years experience in finance and is a specialist in driving business forward while working smarter not harder. Awarded CPA Australia’s Top 40 Young Business Leaders 2012 he helps make things happen.
Here are Peter Fowler's Expert articles:
- Some Business Owners Get it. How Can You?Mar 22, 2013
Leo Senese RBS morgans
Leo Senese, RBS Morgans, with 17 years of experience in the financial markets with Westpac, Goldman Sachs JB and RBS Morgans he is a specialist in income investments. His primary focus is to generate tax effective enhanced income solutions.
Here are Leo Senese's Expert articles:
- Get Global Commodity Exposure in the Australian Share MarketAug 30, 2011
- The Changing Face of Fixed InterestNov 30, 2011
- Are you prepared for Retirement?Mar 13, 2012
- Don't Pay More Tax Than You Have ToJun 14, 2012
- Working Your Cash HarderSep 03, 2012
- Getting the Best Yield for Your InvestmentNov 30, 2012
- Cash Rate Falls: Yield Remains King!Mar 22, 2013
Clayton Oates QA Business
Clayton Oates, QA Business, our Channel 7 business efficiency guru cuts through the red tape and helps you streamline your business to make things happen.
Here are Clayton Oates's Expert articles:
- Business Costs - Are They Adding Value?Aug 12, 2010
- Moments of TruthNov 16, 2010
- Is your Accountant Necessary?May 09, 2011
- Where Has Our “Disposable Time” Gone?Jun 07, 2011
- Using the Internet to Buy LocallyAug 30, 2011
- Is your head in the Cloud?Nov 30, 2011
- Do Apps – Add Up?Mar 13, 2012
- Future Shock – It’s Here AgainJun 14, 2012
- The Cloud - What’s Old is New AgainSep 03, 2012
- How Disruptive is your Business?Nov 30, 2012
- Clouds Have Different ShapesMar 22, 2013
Meg Nichols EnviTE Inc
General Manager EnviTE Inc, providing advice on the Northern Rivers employment market, recruitment, industry trends and best practice.
Here are Meg Nichols's Expert articles:
Moyra Burke-Smith AM Marketing
Moyra Burke-Smith, AM Marketing – with over 20 years of marketing experience for both small and large companies in Europe and Australia she is our expert at making your marketing work for your business. In her spare time she makes a mean mojito.
Here are Moyra Burke-Smith's Expert articles:
- Make Them HappyAug 12, 2010
- 7 Sins of MarketingNov 17, 2010
- Sins of Marketing part 2May 09, 2011
- Get HelpJun 07, 2011
- Promote Your Company WellAug 30, 2011
- Get Into E-tailNov 30, 2011
- Are You Loyal to Your Customers?Mar 13, 2012
- You Are Your BusinessJun 14, 2012
- Social Media - Making it Work for Your BusinessMar 22, 2013
Roly Barrett Green Up
Roly Barrett is a Sustainability Assessor & Solar Energy Advisor and Sales Manager of Greenup Australia, a Ballina solar and energy efficiency company. Roly spends a lot of time on roofs across the Northern Rivers assessing solar potential and in restaurants
Here are Roly Barrett's Expert articles:
Scott Hales Barefoot Telecom
Barefoot Telecom has been in the telecommunications industry for 14 years, working in many different roles for a number of providers. He is passionate about providing exceptional customer service and building long standing relationships with his clientele.
Here are Scott Hales's Expert articles:
- Communicate The Way YOU Want ToMar 22, 2013
The Small Print:
Notice: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this publication the publisher accepts no responsibility or liability for any errors, omissions or resultant consequences, including any loss or damage arising from the reliance on information in this publication. The views expressed in Northern Rivers Business Magazine are not necessarily endorsed by the editor or publisher. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form, or by any means electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, internet or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the publisher.